By Design
"design is not for philosophy - its for life."
November 17, 2006
PXK 835


Four days ago Josefina sent me a forwarded text message. It was a warning to watch out for a taxi with a full time holdupper and part time driver driving. The taxi had a plate number of PXK 835. I was never the same again after that text message. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the warning but understand that I am this really paranoid kind of a person. And with good reason too!

I have had several weird taxi experiences in my lifetime. Horror stories even! I once rode on a taxi who was probably a Formula 1 driver in his past life. Only problem was, he was not one of the better ones. I was hanging on for dear life! He nearly rammed us into a truck full of sugar cane. Another incident was this driver who just could not stop talking about his life. As if that was not bad enough, he drove at a snail's pace so that he would be able to finish his story. He was also too polite because each time he wanted to make a point he would turn back and look at me. All this while the meter was running. I was paying for this talk show I did not care to listen to. Another driver could not stop texting at high speed on the highway. I also had one driver ask me all these personal questions, if I was married and if he could ask me out. Whatthef........????? Needless to say I got out of there before you could say the word, psycho.

So now you understand why I tend to be paranoid about these taxis. I have a lot of horror stories. Anyhow, after that text message (which I am truly grateful for Pin regardless of what I may write here) I was a mess. And I don't know that I am over it. I just don't flag a taxi these days I scrutinize it first. Sometimes I let like over a dozen pass by before I can make a final choice. Thankfully, I do not have to take the taxi all the time but on the times that I do, well, I make sure.

Now I have a few tips of my own. My own "taxi picking" qualifications if you like. I tell you, I can wait forever for the right one before I get on. Which explains also why I usually do not take a cab in a downpour. Now I would like to share with you my qualifications for the perfect taxi cab.

  • Taxi must be new and clean
  • Driver must not reek of smoke or other offensive odor
  • Seats should be in good condition and not have springs hanging out with strange color stains
  • It must not be tinted
  • There should be an identification card and taxi details
  • The A/C must be working properly
  • There must be a working meter, stamped or sealed by the LTO
  • And it must not have the plates PXK - 835

I'm sure I must have missed some in making these guidelines but you can add your own. Now there is no such thing as a fool proof list or a perfect taxi for that matter and I don't claim that these lists are enough. But in these times, one cannot be too careful. And if you're uncomfortable and don't feel right in any way, you can always get off.

Oh and dont forget to have a mace or pepper spray handy. My personal choice as an add on is a Victorinox Swiss Knife too.

Oh and some classes in self defense too.

Oh and..........

2 Comments:
Blogger haaynaku said...
Same here, tins! No matter how inconvenient, I make sure the plate number of the cab is not PXK 835. Never mind if I look stupid bending over to check on the plates. Better stupid than dead...

Blogger haaynaku said...
tins, how come you cant post in my blog? i tried, pwede naman. where will you spend xmas? you are invited to spend it with us at home if you feel like it ha?see ya!